Cabernet Sauvignon + Tri-Tip with Chimichurri
A classic pairing tactic is to match like with like. Tri-tip is tender and rich, an exceptional companion to the luscious density of Cabernet Sauvignon. Throw this mouth-watering cut on the grill and whip up a quick and easy chimichurri sauce to brighten the meat and highlight the natural savory notes of our sustainably farmed Monterey County Cabernet Sauvignon.
Total Time: 60 min
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp plus ½ cup olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lbs tri-tip steak
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- In a small bowl, mix the sesame seeds, paprika, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 teaspoons sea salt and 2 teaspoons black pepper.
- Rub all over steak and allow it to sit at room temperature (30 min).
- While the steak marinates, set a grill for medium-high, indirect heat.
- Place the steak over indirect heat, cover the grill, and turn steak once halfway through. Once the temperature of the thickest part of the steak reaches 115 ºF (20-30 min), move to direct heat and lightly char (2 min each side) until the thermometer reaches 120 ºF for medium-rare.
- Transfer steak to a carving board and allow it to rest before carving against the grain (10 min).
- While steak rests, mix minced garlic, chopped parsley, chopped cilantro, vinegar, agave nectar and ½ cup olive oil in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve steak with chimichurri.