Cabernet Sauvignon + Broccoli Rabe & Sausage Pasta
Broccoli rabe packs a ton of flavor that can be tricky to pair with the right wine. Cooking the vegetable until it is tender and balancing it out with pasta and mild sausage leads to a delicious dish that goes great with our District 7 Cabernet Sauvignon. The savoriness of the dish brings out the smoky, herbal and peppery notes of the wine, resulting in a fun and satisfying pairing.
- 1 lb dry bowtie pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb sausage, casings removed
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, trimmed and cut into 1 in pieces
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 ½ cups Parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat a large saucepan over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the sausage and cook, crumbling with a spatula, until heated through (7 min). Drain off any excess fat.
- Add the sliced garlic and cook (1 min). Stir in the broth and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil.
- Add the broccoli rabe and cover. Cook until the broccoli is tender (3 min). Mix in the butter and Parmesan and remove the lid, simmering until the sauce thickens (2 min).
- Add the drained pasta, sea salt, and black pepper, tossing to combine.
- Let sit, allowing the pasta to absorb the liquid (3 min). Serve hot.